Greek chicken soup with lemon and rice, avgolemono, may look a bit weird but anyone who tastes it falls in love with it! The lemon helps so much with sore throats too! It’s a go to dish in my household and easy to make. Just follow the step-by-step recipe and enjoy! Leave a comment and tell me how you like it or share the recipe with friends.
- 1 small chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds) cut into 8 parts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 12 cups cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 1/2 or 2 lemons)
- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Note: If using store bought chicken broth, you will need 8 cups of broth for this recipe.
- Put the chicken and salt in a large Dutch oven or stock pot. Add 12 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Lower to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered. After an hour to 1.5 hours take the chicken out and add a half a cup of rice of your choice (I like brown but you can use orzo pasta too). Cook rice til al dente. So not fully cooked. Take off the heat and let cool for ten minutes
- Whisk the eggs and lemon juice in a small bowl until fully mixed. While whisking, slowly pour one cup of hot broth into the egg-lemon mixture. Then pour egg-lemon-soup mixture into the heated pot of broth while whisking to combine.
- Add some shredded chicken. Season, to taste, with salt and fresh ground pepper. Garnish with a lemon slice and some parsley, if you like. Enjoy!